THE TATTIE KIRK OF FALKIRK - BURIAL RECORDS
The Tattie Kirk lies just to the East of the Cow Wynd in what is now the
centre of Falkirk. Despite this,
it is known to very few in Falkirk. The Kirk building is unusual in that
is is octagonal in shape.
The first burial recorded in the church records was in 1827 at which
time the congregation was part of the United Secession Church. In 1847
they combined with the Relief Church to form the United Presbyterian
Church. In 1879 the congregation moved to Grahams Road.
The Tattie Kirkyard
There is a wealth of information about the Kirk and its graveyard in
Calatria No. 12
(Journal of the Falkirk Local History Society). It includes much detail
about who was buried there.
Because this information was not in a form particularly suitable for
genealogists to use, the Society has extracted and re-arranged it by
kind permission of the Local History Society.
Two quite separate sources of information were provided. Because these
do not necessarily match, two lists have been prepared. One is based on
the register of burials 1827-1869 & 1884-1891 (SRO CH3/1222/20). The
other is from an inventory of surviving grave markers. Much
deterioration of the markers has occurred so, where necessary, details
have been supplemented by information from the data recorded by Mitchell
& Mitchell in the late 1960's (Monumental Inscriptions of Stirlingshire,